I adapted this recipe from one I found online by Gluten Free Vegan Pantry. It’s amaaazzziing. Though it doesn’t have that true carnival, heavily processed nacho cheese flavor, it gets the job done. We dip anything and everything in it, and cover almost everything you can think to cover cheese with, with it. And the best thing? It’s simple to make. And it’s actually healthy for you! Packed with veggies, nuts and nutritional yeast, this is your next go to recipe for a potluck, or party. Or a Tuesday. 😝
First start with boiling your carrots, onions, shallots and potatoes until soft.
While your veggies are cooking, add the rest of your ingredients to your blender.
When your veggies are cooked and soft, add them WITH the remaining broth to the blender. Blend until smooth.
The sauce will be hot, so serve right away! You can also make this sauce ahead of time, just give it a quick blend in your blender and reheat on the stove. Top potatoes, broccoli, rice, nachos, burritos and bowls with the sauce. Or dip your veggies or chips in it. Eat it with a spoon! The options are endless! I hope you enjoy this recipe!
Creamy Vegan Nacho Cheese
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 cup onion of choice, chopped
- 2 cups potato, chopped (Yukon gold or creamers work best, but any will be fine)
- 1/4 cup shallot
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, pressed
- 8 TBS nutritional yeast
- 2 cups of vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2-4 TBS whole grain Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup vegan margarine
- 1/2 cashews
- Black pepper to taste
- Optional Spices/Variations: add pickled jalapeños (1/4-1/2 cup), chipotle seasoning, chipotle peppers in adobo (1-2 peppers is usually enough) or smoked paprika to taste for a little spice. All is measured to taste based on desired spice level. Of course add more if you like your sauce spicy!
- Add your carrots, onion, shallot, potatoes and broth to a pot and bring to a boil.
- While your veggies are cooking, add remaining ingredients to your blender.
- When veggies are cooked all the way through, add them with remaining broth to the bel dear and blend until smooth.
- Add any desired add ins for spice. Enjoy!
NOTE: if you aren’t using a high powered blender like a Vitamix, soak your cashews for at least 30 mins to 1 hour before blending to soften. Also, you will most likely need to blend ingredients for up to 5 minutes for the sauce to come out smooth like nacho cheese.
Until next time….